He’s Back. And He’s Fabulous.
Iconic plush bear Zeddy makes his cuddly comeback to Zellers store shelves across Canada, and continues to support his adoptive family
Toronto, October 24, 2023 – Today, Zellers is pleased to announce a comeback for the ages. Zeddy, the beloved stuffed bear that captured the hearts of Canadians for decades, is back in plush form and available for purchase in-store starting Friday, October 27th, and online beginning October 30th.
And just when you thought your heart could not get any warmer, with every purchase of Zeddy at $15, $5 will go to support Zeddy's amazing friends at Campfire Circle, a charitable organization that brings healing through happiness to kids with cancer or serious illness and their families. Zeddy has been part of the Campfire Circle family since 2012, following a nation-wide contest to find him a new home at the time. Campfire Circle (formerly Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium), was voted on and chosen by Canadians, and they welcomed him with open arms.
With his family now encompassing both Zellers and Campfire Circle, Zeddy’s heart is full. He retains his signature big eyes and infectious grin, and his nostalgic yellow shirt has transitioned to a vibrant Zellers red, featuring the new typeface. Standing tall at approximately 15 inches, Zeddy radiates undeniable adorableness, making him an irresistible companion for cuddles.
“When we announced that Zellers would open stores inside Hudson’s Bay locations, the number one request across the country was to Bring Back Zeddy!,” says Sophia Hwang-Judiesch, President, Hudson’s Bay. “So many Canadians grew up with Zeddy, not only the plush toy version, but also Zeddy the mascot who visited hospitals, attended special events and hosted birthday parties. We’re so excited to continue his support of Campfire Circle and bring Zeddy back with a purpose.”
"We're so grateful for the support of Zellers and their customers who are helping to bring healing through happiness to kids with cancer or serious illness and their families across Ontario," says Alex Robertson, CEO, Campfire Circle. "The funds raised through the purchase of Zeddy bears will support our programs that improve kids’ overall well-being, help them build resiliency, and develop life-long friendships."
More about Zeddy
- Zeddy's extraordinary journey began in 1986 when he was born on a frosty, clear day in the woods of Northern Canada. He made his first appearance at a Zellers store in Winnipeg. Very quickly he became a beloved and cherished figure.
- Zeddy’s look has evolved over time - from a plush white sweater in the '90s, then switching to a bright yellow sweater in the 2000s, Zeddy's charm endured. Now, in 2023, Zeddy returns with a brand new look, sporting a vibrant Zellers red shirt, featuring an updated typeface.
- What sets Zeddy apart is not just his charming appearance but his enduring commitment to spreading joy. In his initial years, Zeddy was a staple in Zellers stores, delighting children and families wherever he went. He brought smiles to birthday parties, made hospital and school visits, and participated in various community and charitable events.
- "Zeddy Banks" at cash registers encouraged customers to donate pocket change to support children's charities across the country.
- Zeddy also embraced special campaigns and events, from sporting hockey jerseys to donning a Santa Claus costume with a beard. He even wore a custom astronaut suit for the annual "Zellers Moonwalk," which raised funds for the now-named Cystic Fibrosis Canada.
ABOUT CAMPFIRE CIRCLE
Campfire Circle is a charity dedicated to uplifting children with cancer or serious illness and their families through year-round community, in-hospital, and overnight camp programs. Established from the merger of Camp Ooch and Camp Trillium in 2020 and rebranded as Campfire Circle in 2022, they offer kids a safe space to have fun, build relationships, and regain a sense of community. The heartwarming addition of Zeddy, the bear, to their family, after a nationwide adoption campaign, has added hope and humour to the camp's spirit. With professional staff, medical teams, and numerous volunteers, they operate their programs at leading paediatric hospitals across Ontario and at their medically supported overnight camps in Muskoka and Waterford.
One of HBC's most beloved brands, Zellers holds a special place in Canada's maple leaf-shaped heart. With a brand new zellers.ca website, 25 in-store locations, and additional pop-ups within Hudson's Bay stores across the country, customers can expect a helpful, playful shopping experience packed full of low prices day in, day out. With a core focus on design and value - and a hint of the nostalgia that Canadians know and love - Zellers is gearing up to become the new go-to, from lifestyle to home and almost everything in between.
Director, Public Relations
VP, Corporate Communications, PR, Heritage, Social and Events
FOR CAMPFIRE CIRCLE
Senior Director, Marketing & Communications
Associate Director, Communications